This slideshow shows some of the completed and uncompleted work of the fingerboard project. Through many attempts and countless mistakes we have been able to successfully build multiple board prototypes and custom sticker designs. Our company "Flex Decks" has now received many requests for our default boards and custom designs. Starting soon the company will begin to sell our original snowboard that include a hydro dipped 3d printed board with our default or requested design. Two members of the company have also worked hard to complete our own skate park that is currently being used to collect footage to provide advertisement for the selling of our boards (images provided above.) Over the following weeks we will find solutions for adding wheels to the plastic boards, whether it be using drills, wood burners, etc. Also, coming soon, we will have completed our first wooden board prototype that will include our default design. This is our project thus far.
This video includes an edited version of over 10 mins of footage taken over the course of the project. This video does not include the design process which is located below. Also, this video only includes background music audio for around the first half of the video.
After finishing my photo voice blog I worked on a design for a chess club shirt.
3d print files in fusion saved as stl ready for print.
Prusa I3 Printer Project
Assembling and perfecting the working of the Prusa I3 was a long and difficult project. It required many days of hard work and even time out of class to complete this new machine. But with the help of friends and effort, the Prusa is now available for print. Overall, there were many failures, results of some classmates who did not comprehend the complexity and need for every step to be completed successfully. I have learned a great deal about engineering and assembly, and learned mental strategies to overcome misunderstanding when it came to the complexity of the project. In the future I now have the experience to help fix and continue to build new projects to benefit the learning in the media arts classroom.
Trimester 3 Goal
My goal for trimester 3 is to continue learning, researching, and pursuing ways to print and customize print files. This is a long and rigorous process but I believe that if I discover a way to print high quality at maximum potential, students pursuing 3d printing in the future of this class will be saved a great deal of work and increase the oppurtunities and ideas for the potential of their projects.
BTB Infinity Sesh
For the past three weeks I have been pursuing a new project that includes the launch of a youtube channel that features a group of boys at this school who show off their flipping and new learns. This includes the process of filming, collaborating, and editing videos in order to achieve high quality and appealing videos. Our group, or the Back Tuck Bros (BTB), have been training in our free time, trying new flips, and practicing form and execution. Some of our flips have been documented already, but the expectations for the intro has been set at a very high bar, that will end up something like the most popular flippers today. The layout of the video will include flips in different environments merged together ending up with a blend of colors and changes in the background. Evidence of the progressions of this project will be posted in the next week.
April 22nd Blog Update
Today in class I continued to edit the intro for the youtube video. Yesterday I received multiple videos of Clayton throwing side flips off of benches, with changes in setting that include a Florida area, beach area, and city area. Today I worked hard on incorporating these and perfecting the timing and harmony with the audio.
End of Year Reflection
This year I was able to accomplish many projects and was able to develop skills in all of the fields I was interested in. In the beginning of the year, my focus was building a fingerboarding skate park, designing fingerboards. and developing methods of graphic design, to put images of choice on the boards. While building the skate park, I learned how to design, plan and then build a physical object using the materials available. The next step was creating fingerboards. In total, three methods were used to create these, One design of the board was created by uploading a 3d print file of a fingerboard and printing it to proportion. The next method was through a wood press, and the last was through melting metal. The stickers were created in photoshop and then hydro dipped to add for texture and to stick tp the board. The 3d printer became a large part of my experience in this class, building a printer, designing and printing complex sculpts.